Does your child find no purpose in studying? Does your child show no interest in the study and instead he/she wants to become a Youtube star or Korean dancer? Don’t worry, most of the parents face such problems, but you know very well that there is a solution to every problem. With the help of our awesome 6 tips below, you will be able to motivate your unmotivated child within no time!
Learning is a process that requires time, effort and dedication on the part of the learner and teacher. A child must love to read for him or her to learn.
A lot of children consider it to be boring, rigid and voluminous. With time, they develop a distaste for reading or studying, which affects their academic performance. To some extent, an excellent learning skill is not built overnight; it takes an act of constant devotion to be adept at doing it.
The mistakes most parents and tutors make is to limit learning to the class environment. Learning is more than a Monday to Friday school routine. Learning is fun and exciting if we make it so. With the right methods, a child can go from being unmotivated to have the eagerness to learn.
- Interest Development: A lot of learning process is done wrongly because most of the time, the child lacks interest in the subject or course. This creates a dull mindset which leads to a lack of enthusiasm for learning. This first thing to do is to develop the interest of the unmotivated child. A child that’s interested in education would be motivated to learn.
- Use of Different Learning Styles: Learning comes in various forms; visualization, listening, logically, and so on. Different kids have different personalities, and it affects their learning abilities. You have to study and ask which mixture of the learning process is particular to your child. Some kids learn faster by listening to theories been explained while others prefer to see how it’s done to learn better. Focusing on this can make it easier to teach, hence creating a difference. Some prefer to master one act of learning, while others use a mixture of two or more learning process to adapt faster.
- Understanding the learning rate of the child: Children in the same environment have different assimilation skills. Some are fast learners, while the rest take time to study to understand what is taught. Having this basic knowledge will go a long way in helping the child become better in learning.
- Communication is vital: Getting feedback from the child will help you teach better. Effective communication is essential to know what the child likes and dislikes. Some kids find certain subjects challenging and tend to lose interest over time. Discussing these issues with your child and proffering solutions on a better way of going about it helps to motivate the child to learn more effectively.
- Use of diverse learning methods: Learning is not limited to reading alone. Tutorial videos, playing educational games and many others are ways of shaping the interest of the child.
- Rewarding achievement: A pat on the back when a child performs excellently goes a long way in motivating the child to do better. It also makes learning a lot more rewarding for the child. Giving your child a positive identity about him or her will help them accomplish more the next time.
Most students find the subjects offered in their curriculum difficult and this leads to a lack of interest in the examination. This can make them unmotivated and decreases performances.
The objective is to increase your child’s interest in something that they do not want to do and become acquainted with, to make sense of what they want in their lives. As a parent, you need to reinforce their abilities in undermining what’s imperative to them. You need to enable your child to recognize themself, know what’s essential to them and what they need to do to achieve their dreams. Our obligation is to enable our children to do that, not to do it for them. You need to avoid interfering too much in their space so that they can find out what their true identity is and where their very own advantages lie.
Improve your child’s motivation and interest level with the help of our professional IGCSE tutors from the comfort of your home.